Welcome to the 2015-2016 year of the rockets!!!
Phone: (210) 623-6260
Conference Period: 1st period
PHILOSOPHY: Physical Education is an educational tool, which facilitates desirable behavior, self-esteem and physical fitness.
OBJECTIVE: To participate and continue to improve in the area of fitness, endurance and conditioning activities.
*Volleyball *Pickle ball/Tennis/Badminton
*Flag Football *Soccer
*Basketball *Ultimate Frisbee
*Aerobics/Conditioning/Circuit Training *Baseball
* Activities taught are subject to change due to the availability of equipment and facilities.
All physical education students are expected to dress out in a McAuliffe regulation Physical Education uniform everyday. Students will not be excused from dressing out. However, you may be excused from participating in an activity for a limited time due to illness or injury.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THE NOTE DOES NOT EXCUSE THE STUDENT FROM DRESSING OUT, ONLY PARTICIPATING IN ACTIVITY.
LOCKER ROOM POLICY:
Each student will have access to the locker room for the purpose of changing in his or her PE uniform. Once the tardy bell rings, you will have exactly 4 minutes to get dress and be at your assigned spot. All students will keep the locker room cleaned! Students should avoid bringing any valuables to the gym. The McAuliffe Physical Education department is NOT responsible for lost or stolen valuables. There will be no horse playing in the dressing room. You are responsible for anything that you leave out. Take pride in keeping your dressing room neat and clean. Anything left is removed from the dressing room on a daily basis. You are responsible for your “things!”
Cell phones, headphones, tablets or any other electronic devices are NOT ALLOWED in the physical education gymnasium.
1st offense – Warning
2nd offense – Electronic device will be picked up and taken to the office ($10.00 fee for return electronic device)
3rd offense – Electronic device will be picked up & return at the end of the semester as well as $10.00 fee upon return.
The regulation physical education uniform will consist of: shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes.
Spandex type shorts may be worn under the shorts.
NO muscle or sleeveless shirts!
NO tank tops and short shorts!
Students will need their uniform by Monday 8/31/15.
All students must remain in the gym at all times. You are not dismissed until the bell rings. Please stay away from the exit doors and remain in the gym.
**THE PHYSICAL EDUCATION DEPT. WILL BE SELLING PHYSICAL EDUCATION UNIFORMS IN THE GYM. THE COST IS 15.00 (CASH ONLY)
FOOD & DRINKS:
Students are not allowed to drink or eat during class. Please DO NOT bring any food or drinks to the gymnasium.
- If a student attends class, he/she is required to be dressed in their P.E. UNIFORM, NOT SCHOOL CLOTHES.
- All students will be given a daily grade based on being properly dressed in PE. Uniform and participate to a DEGREE in an activity.
- Students excused from activity will still be required to dress in P.E. clothes. This enables the physical education teacher to more easily identify their students on our large PE areas.
- If it is necessary to be excused from regular class, a note from home must be brought to physical education class at the beginning of the scheduled class period. Please be specific on what your child can or cannot do in P.E. class.
- A student may be excused from physical education for health reason by parental note for THREE (3) CONSECUTIVE DAYS ONLY.
- If a student needs to refrain from physical education for a period exceeding (3) days, A MEDICAL EXCUSE FROM A PHYSICIAN IS REQUIRED AND MUST BE CLEARED THROUGH THE MCAULIFFE MAIN OFFICE. (The physician should specify exact physical participation permitted.)
- A student will be allowed to make up points due to illness by completing written assignments given by the Physical Education teacher. See PE teacher for assignments.
GRADING IS BASED ON THE FOLLOWING:
*The Physical Education grading system is based on a standardized objective point system.
- Knowledge and understanding of rules and strategies of different instructional units.
- Performance of skills in each instructional unit
- Participation in each instructional unit shown through effort, promptness, and attendance
- Respect for regulations such as proper dress and care of equipment
- Social habits including cooperation, teamwork, sportsmanship, and personal discipline.
- One 6 wks Exam covering rules and strategies of different instructional units.
- One Semester Exam covering rules and strategies of different instructional units.
- One skill test per an activity.
**Each day student’s will receive 100pts based on dressing out and participation for a total of 500pts for the week.
Full Dress + Participation 100pts
Partial Dress + Participation (must have PE shorts) 50pts
Not Dress + Participation 0pts
Not Dress/Refuses Participation (will receive detention) 0
**After two days of not dressing out, students will receive phone call to parent/receive detention.
- Participation / Dressing Out 60%
- Exams 40%
Attendance requirements will follow the McAuliffe Middle School Attendance Policy and Procedure Guidelines, available in the 2015-2016 Parent and Student Handbook or from the McAuliffe MS. main office.
You must be inside the Gym and seated in your spot when the bell rings.
- 1st tardy ………….First warning
- 2nd tardy………….Detention (AM or Lunch)
- 3rd tardy…………..Written Referral/Parent Contact
*Additional discipline action / parent contact thereafter
PROCEDURE FOR VIOLATION OF SCHOOL RULES AND CLASSROOM POLICY:
1st offense: Teacher conference with student
2nd offense: Parent Contact/Detention (AM or Lunch)
3rd offense: Written Referral/Request parent conference
4th offense: Referred to vice-principal
Student’s name____________________ _______________________
I have read and understand the physical education syllabus for McAuliffe Middle School. I will do my best to comply with these rules and classroom policies.
Parent Signature Date
Home or Cell Phone: _________________
Work Phone: _________________
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.